Forgot sa password for your SQL Server?
It may happen so that you don`t know the password of sa user for SQL Server you inherited from somebody. Actually it can happen cause of many reasons. We`ll try to resolve this issue now.
So here is a step by step guide for resetting forgotten sa password.
1. First of all stop SQL Server service.
2. Run cmd.exe and get to the folder with SQL Server binaries
cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn
3. Start SQL Server in single user mode
If you want to run some named instance use the command below:
sqlservr.exe -m -s INSTANCE_NAME
4. Run the following command in cmd.exe:
5. After connecting to the server run the command below:
sp_password NULL, ‘
6. Stop SQL Server in single user mode by hitting Ctr+C and answering Yes in the dialog.
7. Run SQL Server Service in usual way.
Now you can login under sa with new password.
Please keep in mind that some third-party applications may be using sa password and by changing it you may stop them working, though it is not a good practice to keep sa user enabled and use it by any applications.